COPYRIGHT & SOFTWARE
Original works of literature, art and science, regardless of type, importance or purpose are protected in Egypt as per Law No. 82 of 2002. This includes works of art expressed in writing, sound, drawings, photography and motion pictures, such as books, writings, speeches, oral works, plays, dramatic works, musical compositions, films, phonographic works, applied art, 3-D works, computer programs and national folklore. Such works are protected for the lifetime of the author plus 50 years following his/her death.
The law also provides protection for related rights, including rights of performers, producers of phonograms and broadcasting organizations.
In order for protection to be effective, the work of art is to be original and includes personal efforts, innovation and new arrangement.
The Cultural Affairs’ Supreme Council at the Ministry of Culture reserves the right to allow publication of the work of art for documentary, transitional, educational, cultural or scientific uses under certain conditions.
Egypt is a member of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
Filing Requirements of Copyright Applications
1. A Power of Attorney legalized up to the Egyptian Consulate.
2. A copy from the passport/ID of the applicant and the agent.
3. Filing the respective form for registration purposes.
4. A certificate indicating the registration of the work of art in any other country and the registration data, if any.
5. An original and two copies of the work of art.